CrestFallen Lane Article Feb 15, 2014
Click on any lane name here and read details beside map .... Belmira Fumo LaneCiamaga LaneCol. David Shank LaneCooper's Hawk LaneCosimo Tucci LaneCream Top LaneCrestfallen LaneDeborah Brown LaneEleanor Ross LaneEpworth Manse LaneErlichman LaneJames Kendle LaneJohn McIntosh LaneKarma LaneKen Lai LaneLoop Line LaneMax Hartstone LaneMission House LaneMourning Cloak LaneOld Crookshank LaneOscar Ryan LanePatrick McGregor LanePerly Family LanePirillo Family LanePolice War Horse LanePoulter's PlaceRae Davis LaneRyva Novick LaneShady LaneSkater's LaneSt. Peter's LaneSunnyview LaneTandy Murch LaneWilliam Oliphant LaneVermouth Lane

I would like to take you up on your offer to email the Selection Committee of the Seaton Village Lane Naming Committee. On behalf of my family, I would like to thank you and the Committee for approving David Ryan's nomination of "Belmira Fumo Lane". The unveiling of my mom's sign was a day we will never forget. This was a great day from beginning to end. Thanks for coming for the unveiling and your patience with my constant emails these past three years.
 
Best personal regards, Val Cabral

Read May 12 2014 News!

Read about the project

Click on any lane with a white balloon to see details of proposed name

Lanes shown with thin red lines will be named next, we welcome your ideas!

LANE DETAILS:
Click on any lane name to see details

Since 2011 the Seaton Village Residents Association (SVRA), in cooperation with the Community History Project Lead, Mr. Ed Janiszewski, has been soliciting nominations of names for the lanes in our community. Read more ...

Epworth Manse Lane (#0401) Col. David Shank Lane (#0701) Patrick McGregor Lane (#0703) Vermouth Lane (#0801 and #0802) Ken Lai Lane (#1001 and #1002) Tandy Murch Lane (#1003,#1004,#1005) Perly Family Lane (#1201) Belmira Fumo Lane (#1601) Max Hartstone Lane (#1602) John McIntosh Lane (#1701) Ehrlichman Lane (#1701) Eleanor Ross Lane (#3201/3202) Cosimo Tucci Lane (#3102) Willian Oliphant Lane (#3001) Police War Horse Lane (#3203) Ryva Novick Lane (#3303) Rae Davis Lane (#2601) St. Peter's Lane (#2802) Ciamaga Lane (#2501) James Kendle Lane (#1802) Mourning Cloak Lane (#802) Skaters Lane (#203) Loop Line Lane (#402) Pirillo Lane (#502) Cream Top Lane (#602) Cooper's Hawk Lane (#702) Shady Lane (#1801) Mission House Lane (#1901) Karma Lane(#2101) Old Crookshank Lane (#2201) Crestfallen Lane (#2303) Sunnyview Lane (#2801) St. Peter's Lane (#2802 - to remain as it is a present) Deborah Brown Lane (#2901) Oscar Ryan Lane (#3101) Oscar Ryan Lane (#3101) Poulter's Place (#3301 and #3302) Image Map
<

Skater's Lane (#203)

details being prepared

NOT READY read more ...

Epworth Manse Lane (#0401)

Epworth Methodist Church, at the corner of Christie Street and Yarmouth Avenue, served the local community until it became the Epworth United Church in 1925 and continued until 1980.

The Manse built behind the church was first used by the pastor and in later years by the caretaker.

read more ...

Loop Line Lane (#402)

To commemorate the many transportation and transit vehicles that have been part of the intersection of Dupont Street and Christie Street. The first public transportation to Seaton Village was begun on July 27 1885 with horse drawn cars running on tracks from Front and Frederik Streets along King, Spadina, College and Bathurst, but ended at Bloor, near the current Bathurst Subway Station.

read more ...

Pirillo Lane (#502)

read more ...

Cream Top Lane (#602)

From the files of the Community History Project:
To commemorate the many Dairies that served Toronto from this area. Willard's Cream Top Dairy, operated at 588-602 Dupont Street from 1925-1928, as a dairy division of Willard‘s Chocolates Ltd. In 1929 it was bought out by Silverwood's Dairies Ltd.

read more ...

Col. David Shank Lane (#0701)

Colonel David Shank served with John Graves Simcoe in the Queen's Rangers during the American Revolution.

He returned to England but came to Canada in 1792 to raise a troop of the Queen's Rangers in Canada.

He was granted a patent on land in what later became Seaton Village in 1797 and 1798, although he probably did not live here himself.

read more ...

Cooper's Hawk Lane (#802)

None of the proposed names duplicate a Toronto street. While the nesting of the Cooper's Hawks in Vermont Square Park were first noticed in 2012, there have been regular sightings over the years.

Nadine Feldman's comment (2014) : "(I)… thought of the hawks since the hawk and 5 hawklets were flying right over our deck and around the area of the laneway a lot this spring.

read more ...

Patrick McGregor Lane (#0703)

Patrick McGregor (1816–1882) was a Toronto lawyer who built the "mansion" at 2 Vermont Ave. probably in 1870s, making it a uniquely large home in Seaton Village.

The house, which fronted on to Bathurst Street, sat on 2 lots that extended from Bathurst Street to Ontario Street (now Manning Avenue).

read more ...

Vermouth Lane (#0801)

This is simply a combination of Vermont Avenue, to the north, and Yarmouth Gardens, to the south.

Residents have been referring to this lane as named for as long as anyone can remember.

read more ...

Mourning Cloak Lane (#802)

deThis attractive insect, the Mourning Cloak Butterfly (Nymphalis antiopa), with its cream-edged dark maroon wings is a familiar sight throughout southern Ontario. Adult butterflies from the previous year hibernate over the winter, emerging during the first warm days of spring. tails being prepared

read more ...

Ken Lai Lane (#1001 and #1002)

Kenny Lai and his wife Chung Yee operated "Kenny's" Restaurant at the corner of Bathurst Street and Follis Avenue in the 1970s and 1980s.

After he sold the restaurant he remained a visible member of the community, often seen walking his dog through Seaton Village.

Kenny died in January 2011.

read more ...

Tandy Murch Lane (#1003 and #1005)

Louise Tandy Murch was a popular singing teacher and the mother of Walter Tandy Murch (1907-1967), a Toronto-born artist who studied at the Ontario College of Art in the 1920's.

Deepa Mehta and Paul Saltzman filmed a documentary about her at # 1 Vermont Ave, where she lived for many years.

read more ...

Perly Lane (#1201)

Allan Perly and his wife Belle began Perly's Maps in the late 1940s, creating the Perly's Bluemap Atlas of Toronto that has helped so many Torontonians find their way around the city since then.

Al's son Gary, who took over the business when Al retired, lived on Follis Avenue and Markham Street

read more ...

Belmira Fumo Lane (#1601)

Jose and Belmira Fumo were an immigrant Portuguese couple who lived most of their lives at 42 Follis Avenue.

Belmira died in 2003 and Joe died in 2006.

They exemplified the working class character of Seaton Village.

read more ...

Hartstone Lane (#1602)

Stevens Milk Store, at the southwest corner of Bathurst and Olive, was run by Max Hartstone and his son Marvin from 1959 until Max died in 1982.

Marvin then ran the store until he retired in 1998.

The family was a presence in the neighbourhood for almost 40 years and had a lasting and positive impact on the area.

read more ...

John McIntosh Lane (#1701)

John McIntosh discovered the McIntosh apple in 1796 in eastern Ontario and cultivated cuttings out of which grew generations of McIntosh apple trees.

Descendants of John McIntosh have lived in Seaton Village since 1936.

read more ...

Shady Lane (#1801)

This lane is blessed with more shade than many neighbouring lanes.

read more ...

James Kendle Lane (#1802)

James Kendle, early in the eighteen-eighties, took the emmigration gamble and left Newfoundland for Toronto. He put his carpentry skills to work building houses on Palmerston and Manning avenues, where on the latter street he and his young wife, Sybil, a former opera singer from Pennsylvania, settled down at No. 734.

read more ...

Mission House Lane (#1901)

The Sisterhood of St. John the Divine were Anglican nuns who lived and worked among the poor, elderly and friendless in the Seaton Village Mission from 1890 to 1912.

In 1898, an outpatient department of St John's Hospital for Women was erected on Follis Avenue, called The Mission House.

read more ...

Karma Lane (#2101)

Karma Co-op has operated as a non-profit, member owned and operated food store food in this lane since 1972, serving the Seaton Village residents and far beyond.

It is one of the last remaining examples of laneway businesses that were common in the past.

The lane is already known (unofficially) as Karma Lane.

read more ...

Old Crookshank Lane (#2201)

George Crookshank was a civil servant in charge of the military Commissary, a politician and businessman.

In 1797 he received a crown grant of 1,200 acres, part of which became the Crookshank estate, west of Crookshank's Lane (now Bathurst Street).

He named the area Seaton Village in honour of his employer, Lord Seaton,

read more ...

Crestfallen Lane (#2303)

"Crestfallen" was the name of a horse that was used by Dr. Gerry FitzGerald, the founder of the Connaught Laboratories, in a stable he bought at 145 Barton Avenue in 1913.

It was from Crestfallen that the first successful domestic antitoxin for diphtheria was produced, saving thousands of children from a disease.

read more ...

Erlichman Lane (#2401)

Submitted by sons Steve and Charles Erlichman:
Our parents, Aaron and Madzia Erlichman, immigrated to Canada from Belgium in 1951 with their son Charles, having endured World War II in Europe. Madzia, who was the only member of her family to survive the concentration camps, and Aaron, who was hidden with his parents and sister from Nazi persecution in Belgium, had met and married in Belgium after World War II and then came to Toronto penniless to start a new life.

read more ...

Ciamaga Lane (#2501)

To be named after Mr. Gustav Ciamaga, (April 10, 1930 - June 4th, 2011) a longtime resident at 762 Markham Street. Throughout his life he was a passionate music performer, composer, writer, teacher and administrator. Born in London Ontario, he studied music at the University of Western Ontario, obtaining a BA. He continued studies in composition at the University of Toronto (1954-1956) and Brandeis University in Massachusetts (1956-1963) where he established their Electronic Music Studio.

read more ...

Rae Davis Lane (#2601)

Rae Davis (nee McDonough) was born Aug. 12, 1927 in Plainfield, New Jersey. Her interest in the dramatic arts and poetry writing complimented her education during undergrad years at Wellesley College and her graduate degree in English literature from Columbia University. Soon after marrying John, she accompanied him to London, Ontario in 1957, where he accepted a position as a professor of Philosophy at the University of Western Ontario.

read more ...

Sunnyview Lane (#2801)

Residents using this lane to get to the subway get bathed in morning sunshine across the school yard.

read more ...

St. Peter's Lane (#2802 - to remain as it is a present)

This already named lane comprises the northwest boundary of the former St. Peter's School, the Catholic School Board's elementary school that operated from 1972, when the school was built, until it was closed in the late 1990s.

Since then the school has operated as a variety of small Catholic High Schools.

read more ...

Deborah Brown Lane (#2901)

Deborah Brown, usually referred to as "Mammy Brown", and her husband were runaway slaves from Maryland, who settled in a cottage (not the present building) at 691 Markham Street around 1856.

She lived there until shortly before she died in 1898 at the age of 111.

At the time, she was believed to be Toronto's oldest resident.

read more ...

William Oliphant Lane (#3001)

William "Bill" Oliphant Sr. was born on June 13,1893 in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. As a young man, Bill qualified as a plumber and steamfitter and was a member of The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment). He married Jean "Jeannie" Davidson and, along with their first child Andrew, known as "Sonny", the couple immigrated to Toronto in 1912. Interested in physical fitness since boyhood (his grandfather was a Strongman), Bill decided to open a gym instead of pursuing his previous occupation.

read more ...

Oscar Ryan Lane (#3101)

Oscar Ryan (1904-1988) was a playwright, theatre critic, and activist who came to Toronto from Montreal in 1926.

He wrote poetry and edited wrote for left-leaning periodicals such as the Daily Clarion.

He and his wife Toby lived in an apartment at 42 Barton Street from 1940 to 1988.

read more ...

Cosimo Tucci Lane (#3102)

Cosimo Tucci arrived in Toronto from Calabria, Italy in 1953, marrie in 1960.

Seaton Village has been home to the Tucci family since their arrival to Canada.

The family helped bring many family members to Canada for a better life.

read more ...

Eleanor Ross Lane (#3201/3202)

With her husband, they personally preserved one of the few remaining two story lane structures that may have been a stable and wagon house behind their property at 784 Markham Street. Eleanor used the structure as an art studio for many years.

read more ...

Police War Horse Lane (#3203)

At the south west corner of Markham and London Streets stands the first and only former Police Station which was built in 1912 to serve Seaton Village and the surrounding areas of an expanding city. Once referred to as "The Old London Station" it was formally #11 Station.

read more ...

Poulter's Place (#3301 and #3302)

In the 1860s and 1870s, John Poulter was the proprietor of the hotel at the corner of and Bloor Street and Crookshank's Lane (now Bathurst Street), variously called the Royal Union Hotel, Poulter's Hotel and the Pioneer Hotel.

By 1876 John had given up running the hotel and lived at the corner of Bloor Street and Hope Street (now Manning Avenue).

read more ...

Ryva Novick Lane (#3303)

In honour of Ryva Novick (b. March 2, 1938 - d, October 17, 2003) the Founder and Executive Director of The Children's Storefront. It has continually provided child-parent services since 1975, initially at 994 Bathurst at Olive Ave, then from the late 1980s at 1079 Bathurst St. and currently at 826 Bloor St. west. "The chosen lane's proximity to Bathurst is significant for us and that lane, as it extends further north, is a shortcut my mum often used." –Gillian Novick

read more ...